Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"Now, we'll all introduce ourselves..."

Have you ever had the feeling that everyone is looking at you--and they really are--and that no one would tell you if you had spinach between your teeth? Instead they would keep smiling politely at you as though you were the hostesses latest piece of statuary. 
TEP interviews are kind of like that. 

"Sarah," the name is called and you are welcomed in to sit at the end of a table that is surrounded by other people and everyone is smiling.  You smile back, sort of.  Maybe you just thought you smiled.  Dr. Godwin leads the introductions and everyone, almost says their names and what they are for the purposes of the interview.  "Dr. Able. I'm in the [whatever specific dept. it was she named]." 
"Scruton," smile and wave from Scruton,"English department.
" Deb Thompson, "Hi,"leans forward,"You know me."
"heh, yes. I remember" you, and now I missed someone...but the introductions continue.  Then Dr. Godwin asks if I want to say anything about myself after explaining that I was a transfer student from a fine institution.  They asked where I was from and a little polite questioning ensued which was brief--about five minutes or so.  Then, "Well, it was a pleasure getting to meet you.  If you could just tell them, we will be a moment."
So I exited with the awareness that they may be about to talk about me.  As I exited, I told the other students awaiting the interview, that they would be ready in a moment.  I recognized a girl from choir--forgot her name but we greeted each other pleasantly.  Or she was pleasant, I hope I came across pleasantly, but I still felt tense from the interview.  I really don't like being the center of attention and conversation.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds kind of scary. I wouldn't like it one bit either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful description... but what is TEP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is something like "Teacher Education Participation/Planning/Program" -- one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teacher Education Program. Basically, as far as I can tell, the interview is just to get the staff acquainted with each student in the program and to intimidate any students out of the program who cannot stand enough the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if people cannot bear the interview they have no reason to be a teacher. As far as I know a teacher sometimes has to go before a board of people for performance reviews. Or maybe I am confusing that with some cases in businesses when lower management has to report to higher management.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! LOL I am sorry Sarah, but your description is delightful! funny .. I am sure you didn't think so at the time. Are there scholarship interviews?

    ReplyDelete