Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring tour: yesterday's update

So, here is what I typed yesterday on the bus.
I am exhausted. Today we went to Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary school. That was pretty neat; we didn't sing as long as usual and the space was not the best for sound, but the children were responsive and animated—some clapping and swaying and drumming or singing or air guitar-ing along with us. It amused me when the children were asked if they would one day want to sing with us that amid the "yes"s and raised hands there was a boy toward the middle who animatedly declared "No!" And it was beautiful to see someone actually physically sit up and partially rise to the music, just enthralled she appeared. Afterward the students of Bethel and the students of Martin Luther King, Jr. mingled, hugged, high-fived and became acquainted.
We left and made a half hour stop at Wal-Mart, where Rebekah and I got a chunk of bread and two pieces of fruit for lunch. We already had cheese available to us. After lunch had been over a bit, I took an hour nap before leaving for the big Methodist place.
The place we went to this evening was like a big community center/school/performing arts complex. They served us some of the best barbecue ever for supper. I enjoyed speaking a bit to a few of the folks who served us. One was a veteran of Vietnam, and that came up in a discussion about communication. Back then, the first letter his wife wrote traveled around the world before reaching him.
Then we had sound check and later the singing. It was a very large auditorium and relatively few people in there. While singing my voice had some clogging issues at one point and at another just rang out more clearly than usual. During one song that spoke of God's power, I was impressed by the need for a change in attitude. I was singing in my own power, but it is for God's glory and in His power that I ought to be singing. It is humbling--and empowering when I give up my power.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update Sarah. Sounds like good experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was neat sitting and talking with some of the people that provided us with the supper that night. (Which was *delicious* by the way.)
    That older man was amusing in how he said that just wanted a blackberry because it had everything -- even though he wouldn't be able to make use of half the things/apps on it. And the opinion of the lady sitting next to him was that any phone is useless and the same when dropped into water so you might as well get the inexpensive one.

    ReplyDelete