Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ashes

Thinking about lent.  Last night went to the Ash Wednesday service in our chapel in Campbell hall.  It reminded me so much of the mass-- there were actually three readings, the prayers, the focus on the Eucharist...The message spoken was about lent as a time of revival as we enter more fully into the life, death, and resurrection of Christ.  And, you know, that is something we could use more of.  So, what will I be doing during lent to grow spiritually?  I kind of failed last night through tiredness.  I planned to pray in the evenings with my scripture readings (more than just, "Lord, bless me as i go to sleep, and thank you for today. Good night.")  Well, I barely read.
Rev. Hames (or Chap) encouraged us to not give up after a slip up.  It is a time of growing.  So, don't get too discouraged.  By God's grace, (and you need His help anyway) get up and keep growing.

After the meeting I had "Ashes" stuck in my head.



We rise again from ashes,
from the good we've failed to do.
We rise again from ashes,
to create ourselves anew.
If all our world is ashes,
then must our lives be true,
An offering of ashes,
      An offering to You.

We offer You our failures,
we offer You attempts;
The gifts not fully given,
the dreams not fully dreamt.
Give our stumblings direction,
give our visions wider view,
An offering of ashes,
      An offering to You.

Then rise again from ashes,
let healing come to pain;
Though spring has turned to winter,
and sunshine turned to rain.
The rain we'll use for growing,
and create the world anew,
From an offering of ashes,
          An offering to You.

























         

       

       
        ... Thanks be to the Father,
          who made us like Himself.
          ... Thanks be to His Son,
          who saved us by His death.
          ... Thanks be to the Spirit,
          who creates the world anew,
          From an offering of ashes,
                    An offering to You.

4 comments:

  1. Such a melancholy, bitter-sweet time is lent. Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I needed to be reminded myself, and writing was a way of deepening the impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a major thing that I need to remember. So often I get discouraged at my falling and then just give up everything altogether.

    ReplyDelete