Wednesday, July 24, 2013

On Faith and Jeremiah

The church must express itself in faith, for "the just shall live by faith."
Where do we put our trust?  
What do we rely on in times of trouble?
I know I sometimes turn to distractions--I punch a pillow, watch a film, read a book, do some study, listen to chatter, chatter away myself, immerse myself in music, work, sleep (or try to do these things) rather than waiting in silence on God.
I noticed something in Jeremiah.  In verses 4-10 God calls Jeremiah to be a prophet.  Then verse 11 begins, "And the word of the LORD came to me saying, "Jeremiah, what do you see?"  It is an almond branch that Jeremiah sees, and almond in Hebrew sounds similar to the Hebrew word for watching. It is an object lesson from God-- "You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to perform it."
Then in verse thirteen, "The word of the LORD came to me a second time, . . ." once again there is a question of what Jeremiah sees, but this time it has to do with future disasters and God's message that He was sending through Jeremiah.
It does not say anything about the time between these events.  Jeremiah is not strictly chronological all the time, and he does not all the time tell when things happen with respect to each other.  For all we know, he could have waited years between being called as a prophet and being given the message he was to carry.  There is a silence.  There is also reassurance.  God is watching over His word to perform it.
Two years ago my mother knew from God that he was providing her with a mini-van.  This past month it was accomplished, but it was not through any finagling, or debt, or whatever; it was outright, bought and paid for with money that God got to us at the right time for His purpose to be accomplished.
Do we sometimes try to present our own work to God and hope that He will bless it?  That is what Cain did in the early days of the world.  But, "our righteousness is as filthy rags," only when we do God's work that HE has laid out for us in HIS timing do we get it right; but there's still more.  We cannot do His work in our own strength; we must constantly rely on God's strength, because His work is more than we can handle on our own.


"But you, dress yourself for work; arise, and say to them everything that I command you.  Do not be dismayed by them, lest I dismay you before them.  And I, behold, I make you this day a fortified city, an iron pillar, and bronze walls, against the whole land, against the kings of Judah, its officials, its priests, and the people of the land.  They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, declares the LORD, to deliver you."
"They that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles."


Jesus, Himself spent much time in prayer and said He did nothing without the Father.
Are we better, more capable than He?


So, where is our faith?  What do we really trust in?

I cannot count on my own ability to do right actions with right motives.  I cannot count on my own faith even.  I must throw myself on God's mercy and accept His grace that conquers all my sin and trust that He will work in me "to will and to do of His good pleasure."

No comments:

Post a Comment